Humans might be at the top of the food chain, but we are by no means the most deadly animals in existence. Here are some of the most dangerous animals inhabiting the planet, and why you should avoid them.
1. Black Mamba – Known for attacking without provocation, this slithering pile of death is armed with a neurotoxin that is strong enough to kill 15 grown men. Did I mention that was in just one strike?
2. Box Jellyfish – This wiggly death machine kills more people every year than stonefish, crocs and sharks COMBINED. If that wasn’t enough to encourage you to steer clear, the concentrated venom released by this jellyfish can kill you before you ever get to an ambulance.
3. TseTse Fly – Despite its adorable name, this little blood sucker is responsible for killing up to a quarter of a million (250,000) people every year. While it is not dangerous itself, the TseTse Fly can carry what is known as the African Sleeping Sickness, for which there is no available vaccine.
4. Brazilian Wandering Spider – According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Brazilian Wandering Spider is the most venomous spider on the planet. They can be found in houses and cars in heavily populated areas, which makes them even more deadly.
5. Blue Ringed Octopus – This colorful little guy is about the size of a golf ball, and carries enough poison to kill 26 grown men, for which there is no antidote. If you are unfortunate enough to have a run in with one of these creatures, you’d better hope one of your friends knows CPR because it will only take a few minutes for you to become completely paralyzed and thus, unable to breathe.
6. Mosquito–One of the smallest creatures on earth, the mosquito is responsible for transmitting diseases to an estimated 7 million people every year and, in the process, killing 2-3 million. Makes you want to shower in mosquito-repellant, doesn’t it?
7. Deathstalker – With a name like that, there’s no mistaking this scorpion’s murderous nature. Responsible for 75% of the world’s scorpion-related deaths, the Deathstalker’s venom will cause you to drown as your lungs fill up with fluid. Sounds delightful, doesn’t he?